Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!
This is a recipe that will brighten up any dark winters day. It contains ingredients that remind me of the sunny state of Florida. But do not think that this is a sweet dish. No, far from it! It is a spicy thick sauce made by cooking down lots of different vegetables, and it contains succulent pieces of chicken, that are perfect served with freshly boiled rice.
This is a one pot wonder that has to be tasted to be understood.
A Simple List of Ingredients:
1. Spring Onions
3. Sweet Orange Peppers
7. Plain Flour
8. Salt and Pepper
9. Whole Chicken, cut into pieces
10. Vegetable Oil
12. Vegetable Stock
13. Fresh Orange Juice
14. Soy Sauce
16. Orange Zest
17. Hot Curry Powder
18. Fresh Green Chillies
Bismillah, let's begin!
First, place 4 tablespoons of plain flour into a bowl.
Season the flour with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
Cut a whole chicken into pieces, wash and pat dry with kitchen towels. Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour until well coated. Reserve any remaining flour.
Heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Cook the chicken over a high heat, stirring frequently, until the chicken is golden on all sides and sealed.
Using a slotted spoon, put the chicken onto a plate.
The next ingredients are a few spring onions, sliced.
And one onion, cut into wedges.
Add the onion and spring onion to the same saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until softened.
If the onions start to stick, add a few splashes of water.
Once the onions have softened, sprinkle in the remaining seasoned flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Then remove from the heat.
Once off the heat, pour in 10 fluid ounces of vegetable stock.
And, pour in 5 fluid ounces of fresh orange juice.
And, add 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
And, 2 teaspoons of clear honey.
Stir everything together.
Next, take 1 tablespoon of grated orange rind. Add this to the pan also.
Stir everything together, and return to the heat. Bring to the boil whilst stirring.
Return the chicken to the pan. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, take two courgettes.
And slice into half moon shapes.
Take 4 sweet orange peppers.
Take 2 small corn cobs, and take off the corn. Or use a tin of sweetcorn.
Add the courgettes, peppers and sweetcorn to the pan. Simmer for a further half hour, or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
Once the chicken and vegetables are cooked, add 3 teaspoons of hot curry powder. You can more or less, depending on how spicy you want it.
Next, add 4 green chillies, sliced.
Then, take one orange, peeled and chopped.
Add the sliced orange to the pan. Stir well and heat through for 1 minute.
Serve hot, accompanied with freshly boiled rice or with my real mashed potatoes
· 4 tablespoons Plain Flour
· Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
· 1 Whole Chicken, cut into pieces
· Vegetable Oil, for cooking
· 1 bunch of Spring Onions, sliced
· 1 Onion, peeled and sliced
· 10 fl oz Vegetable Stock
· 5 fl oz Fresh Orange Juice
· 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
· 2 tablespoons Clear Honey
· 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
· 2 Courgettes, sliced
· 4 Sweet Orange Peppers, sliced
· 2 Corn on the Cobs
· 3 teaspoons Hot Curry Powder
· 4 Green Chillies, sliced
· 1 Orange, peeled and chopped
1. Season the flour with the salt and pepper, and stir well. Toss the chicken pieces in the flour and save the excess flour.
2. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan, and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and then remove to a plate.
3. To the same pan, add the spring onions and onion, and cook until soft. Then, add the leftover flour and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Add the stock, orange juice, soy sauce, honey and orange zest. Stir well and then place back on the heat. Bring to the boil.
5. Return the chicken to the pan, and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Take the corn off the cob, then add it along with the courgettes and peppers to the pan, and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
7. Once everything is cooked, add the curry powder, green chillies and oranges. Heat for a minute and then serve!