Sunday, 28 April 2013

Aloo Palak (Potato and Spinach Curry)

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

This recipe is for Aloo Palak. It is a potato and spinach curry, which is perfect for a weeknight supper, because it cooks so quickly. It can be served with naan, roti, boiled rice or even my personal favourite - hot buttered toast!
A tip to make this dish even faster is to prep all your ingredients before you start to cook - so chop all the vegetables and measure out the spices.



A Simple List of Ingredients:




1. Baby Spinach
2. Potatoes
3. Onions
4. Tomatoes
5. Salt
6. Vegetable Oil
7. Ground Turmeric
8. Ground Cumin
9. Ground Coriander
10. Red Chilli Powder
11. Garam Masala
12. Cumin Seeds

Bismillah, let's begin!



Heat a few tablespoons vegetable oil in a large pan.




To the hot oil, add 2 teaspoons cumin seeds. Fry for 30 seconds.




Peel and finely chop 2 onions.




Add the chopped onions to the pan.




Stir in the chopped onion.




To the chopped onions, add 1/2 teaspoon salt.




Cook the onions until golden brown.




Peel and chop 7 small potatoes into large chunks.




Add the potatoes to the pan.




Stir to combine.




Next, roughly chop 2 tomatoes.




Add the tomatoes to the pan.




Stir in the tomatoes, and cook for 2 minutes.




Take:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric




Add the spices to the pan.




Stir to combine, and cook for 2 minutes.




Take 180 gram bag of baby spinach, wash and roughly chop. You could use normal spinach too.




Add the chopped spinach to the pan.




Stir in and cook for 1 minute.




Cover the pan and simmer on low for 15 minutes.




Add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, and adjust seasoning, if needed.




Stir to combine.




Serve with roti, naan or even rice!

Wasalaam!

20 comments

  1. This turned out very nice! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to cut the stems from the spinach leaves (so I did). Did you? I had to adjust it at the end (like you said) with a bit of salt. Have you tried this with chicken? Was thinking at what stage would I need to add it? I'll be making it again in the future InshaAllah.

    JazakAllah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam! I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe. I didn't cut the stems since it was baby spinach and I didn't see the need, to be honest. I have made a similar curry with chicken - check my Chicken and Spinach Curry at http://thismuslimgirlbakes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/chicken-and-spinach-curry.html
      Hope you enjoy inshallah!

      Delete
  2. In recipes like this can you please indicate how much heat the hob should be on when Not on simmer (i.e high heat, medium heat). Probably just me but find it difficult to estimate or use common sense...

    Thanks for simplifying the process of making Asian food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best in the future. usually when making the curries, the heat is at a medium. but when simmering, we like to cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat to the lowest. :)

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to try this, thank you so much for a detailed recipe! Most of the others online just say things like "Cook the spinach" and expect idiots like me to know how long for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds good. Something new to try as well. thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tastes great, also the photographs are really helpful as it gives an idea of what the recipe looks like at various stages. Normally there is just a completed photo and sometimes my meals don't look much like the final. I will be using more of your recipes. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the curry - keep on cooking!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful! My family loved this, I added a tin of butterbeans from curiosity, odd choice but it worked really well. Will definitely make again. Sorry this is anonymous, I am on someone else's tablet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the curry! And, butterbeans! I would have never thought of that! :)

      Delete
  7. Thankyou ...just loved this, we added in carrots, but part boiled them and it was absolutely delicious.

    I am going to work my way round all your recipes.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Your carrot addition sounds delicious! :)

      Delete
  8. Trying it right now don't really know how to cook but will do my best.
    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this but how do the potatoes cook without adding water? I had to add water in my dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that leaving the curry covered over a low heat, after building up steam on a high heat, is enough to cook the potatoes. The spinach lets off a little water too which helps with the cooking. You can add a little extra water though, if you feel that it the curry needs it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Design by Sadaf F K.