Thursday, 5 September 2013

My Chicken Lasagne

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

This recipe is for My Chicken Lasagne. There are some days when only a lasgane will do, and why not? Layers of chicken ragu sauce, creamy white sauce, sheets of pasta, all topped with bubbling melted cheese - perfect for a windy autumn's day!


A Simple List of Ingredients:


1. Chicken Mince
2. Red Chilli Powder
3. Dried Oregano
4. Tomato Lasagne Sauce
5. Olive Oil
6. Salt and Pepper
7. Vegetable Stock
8. Tomato Puree
9. Carrots
10. Bell Pepper
11. Onion
12. Garlic


13. Lasagne Sheets
14. Whole Milk
15. Plain Flour
16. Butter
17. White Pepper
18. Nutmeg (optional)
19. Grated Cheese

Bismillah, let's begin!


First, to make the chicken sauce, peel and finely chop five medium carrots.



Slice a large green bell pepper into small chunks.



Peel and crush two garlic cloves.



Peel and thinly slice one medium onion.



Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan.



Throw in the sliced onions and the crushed garlic.



Cook on medium heat until the onions have softened.



Next, put in about two pounds of chicken mince. You could also do this exact recipe but use lamb mince.



Stir fry the chicken until it becomes slightly browned.



Then, throw in the sliced carrots and peppers.



Stir fry for another few minutes.



Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Add red chilli powder, to taste.



Add one teaspoon dried oregano.



Pour in 1/2 pint vegetable stock.



Squeeze in about one tablespoon tomato puree.



Next, I used a medium sized jar of Dolmio Lasagne Sauce. If you don't have this, then just add a tin of tomatoes.



Pour in the lasagne sauce.



Stir to combine.



Simmer for 30 minutes on a low heat.



After 30 minutes, taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.



Finally, take a few leaves of fresh basil.



Tear the basil leaves, and add to the sauce.



Stir to combine, and the sauce is now ready!



To make the Bechamel sauce (white sauce), melt two tablespoons butter in a saucepan.



Once the butter has melted, add two tablespoons plain flour.



Cook the butter and flour on a low to medium heat, stirring constantly for about two minutes.



Next, take 1 and 1/2 pints warmed whole milk.



Slowly add all the warm milk, stirring constantly on a medium heat, until the sauce thickens.



Season well with salt and white pepper.



Add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. This is completely optional - I have discovered this article recently so I do not use nutmeg in my cooking anymore. 



This is nutmeg.



Stir to combine, and the white sauce is done.



Next, take 8 lasagne sheets.



I pre-cooked the lasagne sheets but you don't have to.



Now, it's time to layer the lasagne! Take a large oven dish, and spread a layer of the chicken sauce ..



.. white sauce ..



.. lasagne sheets ..



.. chicken sauce ..



.. white sauce ..



.. lasagne sheets ..



.. chicken sauce ..



.. white sauce .. 



.. and top with grated cheese.



Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 5 for 20 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Uncover towards the end to let the top brown. Or, brown under a hot grill.



Allow to cool slightly before digging in! Enjoy!!

Wasalaam!

Your Photos:

66 comments

  1. This looks so good, especially the sauces. Where do you find the time to blog so much? I'm always too busy through the college season. Anyway I read some time back that nutmeg is haraam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Nutmeg is intoxicating and so is haram. And you can eat nutmeg but only of it comes in the form of food or drink which does not intoxicate. However a Muslim can not purchase nutmeg as an ingredient as that is haram!

      Delete
  3. How you learn so many type of food ? If you are learning first from internet is it gives everytime good result when u cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like to try different foods from different cultures and countries. Just give the recipes a go and inshallah they will turn out good :)

      Delete
  4. Can replace lasagne sheets with another thing I couldnt find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a Lasagne wouldn't be a Lasagne without the lasagne sheets lol but I guess you could use any boiled pasta as well

      Delete
  5. I gave it a go yesterday and it came out delicious. ...just want to say thank you sooo much for all these recipes. ..may Allah give you and ur family all the happiness in this life and the hereafter (Ameen)
    Jazakallah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I haven't made it in ages - feel like making it again now lol. And, it's no problem. I love sharing our family recipes with you all. Ameen to your dua and I pray that Allah grants you the same too - Ameen! :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salt and pepper is always to taste. Add about 1/2 teaspoon and then give it a taste, and adjust. So sorry for the late reply :)

      Delete
  7. Salaam sister, is it possible to buy the white sauce u made from shopping stores or do u have to make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasalaam! You can buy it from the shops but be sure to check the ingredients. Sometimes it may have wine in it.

      Delete
  8. Do u have to use nutmeg? What about a pinch of dried herbs? Or just leave that out completely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could leave it out. And, you could add the herbs if you want! :)

      Delete
  9. Jazaakillah Khair ur recipe turned out to be a great lasagna for me. Everyone loved it :) May Allah bless you Aameen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameen! Really glad you liked it - hope this lasagna becomes a family favourite for you! May Allah bless you too! Ameen :)

      Delete
  10. Hi I can't get chicken mince anywhere could I just use chicken pieces??
    Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes you can use chicken pieces but you could also use lamb mince or beef mince.

      Delete
  11. I'm about to make it for my wife for Valentine's Day. InshAllah it will turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I have made the recipe a few times and my family love the taste however I can never get the lasagne to stick it's always runny, I've even made the meat really dry but still no joy. Any suggestions how I can get it stick? We have a fan assisted oven I don't know if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure what you mean but if you want the lasagne firmer, let it sit for 15 minutes or so after baking. this should let it set and not fall apart when you cut it. I hope that helps. :)

      Delete
  14. Hi, I made this and it turned out lovely ! Thankyou for sharing your recipe. Only thing was, some of the lasagne sheets were hard in the corners and edges. Any tips to prevent this ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shazia! One tip is to bake it covered with foil (which I'm sorry, but I forgot to write in the recipe) and then uncover towards the end to let the top brown. Second, if you feel the edges are still hard, press them down with the back of a spoon until they are covered in sauce. The sheets go hard when they are not covered properly with sauce. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. Thank you for all your recipes they are amazing! Also with the pictures it is sooooo helpful!! Love ur page masha'allah keep up the good work :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazakillah khair for your kind words Safiyyah! I'm really glad you like my blog and that it has helped you.

      Delete
  16. Very nice mashallah everyone loved it they wanted seconds! ��may Allah reward you for making the time to share these lovely recipes with us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ameen! and everybody asking for seconds is praise indeed! :)

      Delete
  17. Salaam.

    How much salt, pepper, chilli powder, oregano are you putting in?

    Really enjoy making the recipes that you have posted..May Allah reward you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasalaam! All of the above are always to taste. For this recipe, I would use 1 teaspoon Salt - 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli - 1 teaspoon Oregano. Ameen to your kind duas and keep on cooking! :)

      Delete
  18. Salaam,
    I cab't wait to try your recipe out! It looks delicious! Just one question how do you cook the lasagne sheets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikumus salaam! Jazakillah khair for your kind words - I really hope you enjoy the lasagne. You don't have to cook the lasagne sheets if you don't want to - but if you do, see the packet for instructions! :)

      Delete
  19. Can you confirm that the dolmio sauses are halal ?
    Was advised by the shop assistance at co op, it was not suitable for vegans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about why the sauces are not suitable for vegans. This is an old recipe so the sauce was definitely halal then. Just be sure to check your jar label.

      Delete
  20. Can you confirm that the dolmio sauses are halal ?
    Was advised by the shop assistance at co op, it was not suitable for vegans.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the jar, it states that it is 'suitable for vegetarians'. As for vegans, I am not so sure

    ReplyDelete
  22. Salams can I try your recipe without the veg stock and basil? I have all the ingredients at home except then 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikumus salaam! Yes, you can leave out the basil. For the veg stock, use chicken stock or even water. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  23. Hi, did you wash your mince before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! We give our mince a quick rinse before cooking! :)

      Delete
  24. Salam,
    This recipe is really great- I'm making it a second time today because it was a big hit the last time. :)
    I've been following your blog since before your most recent Umrah trip, and have attempted a couple of the recipes and all have worked out brilliantly. So I thought I'd just say thanks for regularly updating the blog because it's a lifesaver for someone like myself who cannot at all cook and is just starting out, especially pakistani recipes. :)

    Also, just curious, what is your name? I can't seem to find it on the blog posts, and thought perhaps that was intentional :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikumus salaam!

      Really glad you enjoyed the lasagne so much! In my opinion, you cannot beat a bubbling pan of it on a cold Spring day! Thank you so much for your kind words - I am so glad that my recipes have been a help to you. Let me know if you have any Pakistani recipe requests.

      Regarding my name, I've never really felt the need to reveal it. But if you really want to know, I have the same name as the Prophet Muhammad's (peace be upon him) daughter! ;)

      Delete
    2. His youngest daughter, that is! :)

      Delete
    3. It's currently autumn in Australia, and the recipe is great this time too :D
      I'm making my way through the current recipes, but will be sure to make a request one day inshAllah :)

      Delete
  25. Salaam,

    How many people does your recipe serve, please?

    HB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikumus salaam! This lasagne should serve at least 6 people. :)

      Delete
  26. Can you tell me how i could half this recipe? or even in 3? is it possible to follow this recipe and just leave the chicken out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can cut this recipe in half or even quarters. Just halve or quarter all the ingredients but add salt and red chilli, to taste. You may also leave the chicken out, if you prefer.

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. Any will do. I like a mixture of both Cheddar and Mozzarella.

      Delete
  28. Does it have to take 30 min for sauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can cook it for less time, if you wish.

      Delete
  29. Thank you so much for posting this recipe along with all your others, the lasagna is so good that I have made it twice in one weekend! I am eating it right now but with minced beef instead of chicken :) your instructions are so easy to follow and I love how you include photos for all the different steps, every time I cook now this is the only website I will come to for recipes :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the lasagne! Thank you for all your kind words!

      Delete
  30. Can you do a lasagne recipie were you make your own tomato sauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will try to post one as soon as I can.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Design by Sadaf F K.