Friday, 1 November 2013

Chicken Karahi

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

This recipe is for a classic Pakistani dish - Chicken Karahi. The name comes from the pot in which the dish is cooked, and is just a simple chicken curry. It has a lot of sauce in it, and is perfect with rice or naan.


A Simple List of Ingredients:

1. Vegetable Oil
2. Cumin Seeds
3. Onions
4. Whole Chicken Pieces
5. Salt
6. Paprika Powder
7. Crushed Red Chilli
8. Ground Coriander
9. Ground Turmeric
10. Plum Tomatoes Tin
11. Garlic
12. Ginger
13. Fresh Coriander

Bismillah, let's begin!


First, to start, take a karahi. This is the traditional pot in which this dish is made. If you don't have one, a wok will do or any deep cooking pot.



Heat the karahi on a medium heat, and add a good splash of vegetable oil.



Add two teaspoons cumin seeds to the hot oil, and fry for a minute.



Peel and slice three onions, and add to the karahi.



Stir fry until the onions turn a light golden brown colour.



Next, add a whole chicken cut into pieces. You could make this with boneless chicken pieces - just add 1/2 kilo.



Fry the chicken until golden brown and sealed.



Add one teaspoon salt.



For the spices, take:
Two teaspoons paprika powder
One teaspoon crushed red chilli or chilli powder
Three teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric



Throw the spices in.



Stir to combine, and fry for one minute.



Add 1/2 cup of water, bring to the boil and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.



While the chicken simmers, take:
One can of plum tomatoes or six fresh tomatoes
Six garlic cloves
Two inch piece of ginger
Place into a jug blender and blend with 1/2 cup water.



After 20 minutes, the oil should have separated.



Add the tomato mixture in stages. Stir fry after adding each addition. 



Once all the mixture has been added, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.



After ten minutes, uncover ..



.. and add a handful of chopped fresh coriander. Stir through.



Your Chicken Karahi is now ready!



Serve immediately with rice, chappati or naan - whatever you're in the mood for! For me, simple boiled rice and salad was perfect with this.

Wasalaam!

16 comments

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe! It came out great. I love how you show it step by step with pictures. I did make a few small changes. I used fewer tomatoes and a few teaspoons of tomato paste. Also I think the cumin seeds should be reduced. Otherwise it was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no problem and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Make any changes you like - that's what cooking should be! According to individual tastes!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic curry !.... I don't have a blender so I grated the garlic and ginger and mixed with chopped tomatoes !.... 2nd time to have it this week , yum yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! And, I'm glad that you changed the recipe to suit you - it's what home cooking is all about. :)

      Delete
  3. I am newly wed and dont know how to cook so your blog is a great help. Thank you sis your a life saver xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my blog has been of help to you and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. :)

      Delete
  4. Your blog is such a help to me, too. My husband is always very pleased and recently my in-laws came to visit and they were so shocked to see that a gori like me can cook food that tastes "just like back home"! They keep asking me who has taught me how to cook desi food and I just wink and tell them it's a secret. So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad my blog has been of help to you - your comment made me laugh so much. and, it'll definitely be our little secret. take care xx

      Delete
  5. I have made so many of your dishes. All of them have been so easy to make and totally delicious! Thank you so much xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such lovely feedback. I'm so happy that you've been enjoying my recipes. :)

      Delete
  6. May Allah reward you sister for sharing all these recipes. I used to be so terrible at cooking but alhamdulillah thanks to your blog im getting so much better (I think). Your recipes are so easy to follow and are so tasty too! JazakAllah khairun for being so kind and sharing these home recipes they are absolutely delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameen to all your lovely duas. Jazakallah khair to you for taking the time to send me this message - it really means a lot. And, I'm sure you weren't that bad at cooking! May Allah make us all even better - ameen. :)

      Delete
  7. Jazakallah khair sister for your recipes ive almost cooked them all im a revert to islam for 10 years my husband is pakistani im white english ur blog is a god send to me i love too cook and my hubby enjoys my food (well urs) so does the inlaws thank you sister may allah bless you ameen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you've been enjoying my recipes and that they've helped you out! :)

      Delete
  8. Salam, what should I do different if I'm using boneless chicken? Would adding water dry out the chicken pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa alaikumus salaam! You can use boneless chicken but I would use a little less water.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Design by Sadaf F K.