Friday 13 February 2015

Chocolate Popcorn Bars.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

I bet chocolate cornflake cakes were one of the first things you ever made.

You know, that culinary classic of melted chocolate mixed with cornflakes or rice krispies.
Or were you the rebel who made them with Coco Pops. I like you. These Chocolate Popcorn Bars are a popcorn take on those very cakes. P.s. Whilst we are ogling that link, please stand for this genius who put them into a tin. How did I not think of that in primary school when I was stuffing them into paper cases?!!
Anyway, back in April of last year, I made one of my favourite treats ever. And when the urge came to make them again, this time I thought I would use popcorn. 

Now, this wasn't some brainwave on my part to invent a new (gluten-free, may I add) recipe but it was because there was a giant bag of popcorn open in the cupboard. And, also because I was on a gluten-free baking spree that Sunday having already made this which if you haven't baked yet - you are missing out big time!

I think this is how all the best recipes come about. The need to use up leftovers. And, these popcorn bars are full of nuts (peanut), seeds (pumpkin) and dried fruit (raisin) that were left at the back of the cupboard. You know the ones, where there's too little in the bag to use in a recipe and too much to actually consider throwing away. 

Currently in my cupboard that status belongs to pumpkin seeds. Maybe I should roast them. But that would mean effort. And, washing up. Ok, stop whinging. Didn't you learn anything from yesterday?

No-Bake Bars, previously: Chocolate biscuit fridge barsCoconut iceChocolate cornflake cakesSweet + salty chocolate bars

A Simple List of Ingredients:

1. Milk Chocolate
2. Dark Chocolate
3. Golden Syrup
4. Butter
5. Popcorn
6. Flaked Almonds
7. Salted Peanuts
8. Raisins
9. Pumpkin Seeds

Bismillah, let's begin!


First, prepare the tin. I used a square cake tin and a loaf tin and lined them both with baking paper. You could use foil too.

First, the base of these bars. Into a heat-proof bowl, place 150 grams Milk Chocolate.

Add 150 grams Dark Chocolate.

Followed by 100 grams Butter. Salted or unsalted is fine.

Finally, my favourite. Golden syrup.

Squeeze in 150 grams Golden Syrup
You can buy the weighing scale that I use here. It's really good.

Guys, you can just tell that this thing is going to taste good. Like really good. You may want to get a spoon ready.

Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and let everything melt completely over a low-medium heat. This is why it's important to use a heat-proof bowl my friends.
Keep an eye on it too and give it stir from time to time. Don't be like me.

While the chocolate goodness does it's thing, let's get the dry ingredients together. Meet the culprit behind this recipe - a giant bag of sweet popcorn.
Feel free to use salted popcorn or plain too. Omg. Salted popcorn would be the best for these bars. You guys know I love my sweet and salty.

So, into a large mixing bowl, place 152 grams Popcorn. This was about 4 mug fulls and 1 mug full measured 38 grams. Oh yes, popcorn is so light. 
Add in this much now but you may need more later.

Now comes the part that you can personalize. Go crazy. Add in your favourite chocolate bars, chopped up, nuts, dried fruit, seeds - anything!
I went with 50 grams Flaked Almonds.

Next, my favourite. Salted peanuts.

50 grams Salted Peanuts

I love raisins. Especially in cookies and covered in chocolate. So, I threw in 50 grams Raisins.

And, for the health factor and because I actually like them, 50 grams Pumpkin Seeds.

Give everything a toss.

And, omg. Would you look at that? Where is that spoon?!

Time to introduce the wet to the dry.

In it goes!

Begin mixing well and see if the mixture is too wet. If it is, add in some more dry ingredients. I chose salted peanuts. Well because salted peanuts.

Give everything a good old mix until every bit is covered by the chocolate river. You want it a little bit on the wetter side because that will be the kind of glue to hold this whole thing together.

Pop the mixture into the prepared tins. I used a square tin.

And, a loaf tin. Which I didn't line with paper. And it's how I know that you should line yours with paper.
See. I make mistakes so that you don't have to.

Press the mixture into the tin with the back of a spoon. 
Chill in the fridge or freezer until completely set and hard. This will take up to 4 hours.

Once set, lift out from the tin and get ready to slice.

Slice them into fairly large squares. I find that cutting them into smaller ones is quite difficult.

If you are going to store these, store them in the fridge or freezer to keep them set. Enjoy!
I'm off to investigate this. 
Have a lovely weekend guys!

Full Written Recipe:


Chocolate Popcorn Bars

Prep Time: About 15 minutes
Chill Time: About 4-6 hours
Serves: Makes about 14 large squares

Ingredients
150 grams Milk Chocolate
150 grams Dark Chocolate
100 grams Butter
150 grams Golden Syrup
152 grams Popcorn
50 grams Flaked Almonds
50 grams Salted Peanuts
50 grams Raisins
50 grams Pumpkin Seeds

Method

Line a square cake tin or 2 loaf tins with baking paper or foil.

Place the milk chocolate, dark chocolate, butter and golden syrup into a heat-proof bowl. Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water and let the everything melt completely.
Remove from the heat.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over the chocolate mixture and stir. If you want more of any of the dry ingredients, add them in.

Press the mixture into the lined tins and chill in the fridge or freezer until completely set - about 4 hours. Slice into bars and munch!


Note: These bars also keep really well in the freezer – I have a few stashed there at the moment.

This Time One Year Ago:


This Time Two Years Ago:


Keep me in your duas, please,

Wasalaam!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.