Sunday 3 January 2016

Doughnut Fail + So Many Flatbreads + Lemon Meringues: 26 December - 1 January 2015/16.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful




{via}
how are you? how's your 2016 been so far?
have you kept up with any of your resolutions? I'm not really one for making them although I did make one this year - to journal everyday. it's now January 3 and I haven't done it once yet. I'm (trying) to follow these journal prompts.

{via}
the weekend began with power cuts and no water because of the flooding around these parts. I still managed to pickle red onion slices and pile them into parathas with chicken mince to make kathi rolls. oh, and I also managed a complete disaster with a doughnut recipe that I'm working on. the outside was too dark and inside was raw!
{via}
you guys, I have been loving these wholemeal flatbreads this week. seriously, I've been living on them for days! mine were topped with a cumin smoky paprika chicken, yoghurt, all the salad and plenty of fresh herbs. the best way to brighten up any dinner plate.

also this week, we have been loving meringue. this lemon pavlova in particular. I made it during the week and it disappeared so quickly - so I baked another, bigger one! 

finally, I made a pizza because how could I not end the year with pizza?! and, it was a good one that basically used up all the things in the fridge as all pizzas should. last but not least, this rainbow. you guys, it was so big and bright - the camera did it no justice.


{via}
here's more from my week:


 Saturday: the electricity was off today for around two hours because of all the flooding in our part of the country.
when the power came back, I pickled a red onion in lime juice, white wine vinegar, green chilli, fresh coriander and salt.
cooked off some spicy chicken mince with more fresh lime.
and fried some parathas with coriander omelette.
the chicken and onions were piled onto the paratha.
wrapped up to make kathi rolls for dinner. my version of them is here.
 Sunday: today, the water went off for most of the day. before it did, I managed to test a doughnut recipe.
dough made.
fried.
drained.
dunked.
filled.
I was not happy with these guys - back to the drawing board!
 Monday: picking fresh oregano from the garden and snacking on the sweetest pineapple and oranges.
time to marinade chicken!
so many good things in this marinade.
including smoked paprika, cumin, plenty of lemon juice, zest and olive oil.
assembling our flatbreads at dinner.
so much juicy chicken, salad, fresh herbs and lashings of blended yoghurt.
 Wednesday: more flatbreads at lunch.
this time with the addition of crumbled feta.
then, it was time to whip up a meringue.
with the addition of fresh lemon!
whilst the meringue baked, I whisked up a quick lemon curd.
it was the best slathered over crispy toast. I have a recipe on the blog which is here!
flatbreads again for dinner! I'm obsessed! 
although I can never roll a perfect circle! who cares?! it tastes amazing!
 Wednesday: making these sandwiches for lunch today!
meringue assembly time!
lemon curd.
whipped cream.
finished with lemon zest and toasted, flaked almonds.
for dinner? a pizza. I pressed out wholemeal dough onto an oven tray, seasoned it with salt and cracked black pepper, drizzled on olive oil and spread on roasted garlic.
then, on went BBQ chicken.
followed by red onion + pickled jalapeno slices + cherry tomatoes + sweetcorn + dried oregano + Cheddar.
you can see my BBQ pizza recipe here!
Thursday: a beautiful rainbow after plenty of both sunshine and rain.
dates and Zam Zam from the Umrah gang!
for dinner, I roasted green beans with coconut oil, salt and pepper.
and, ate them with leftover pizza and pan-fried chips for the last meal of the year.
cream was whisked.
condensed milk stirred in.
followed by the good stuff.
time to freeze!
 Friday: first breakfast of the new year --> spicy red onion omelette + baked beans + toast. the best.
getting my bake on.
dividing the batter and popping in to bake!
time for more meringue making!
the meringue was shaped and baked too!
then, I burnt the coffee.
and, whipped up a batch of buttercream.
dinner time!
soy chicken noodles with cinnamon and star anise.

this time one year ago:
more honeycomb disasters + misty skies + chocolate orange
lately, on the blog:

weekend spring rolls + veggie samosas + Wednesday pakoras
your top posts of 2015!
December 2015: The One Where It Rained and Rained


{via}

have a great first week of 2016 everyone! keep me in your duas please,

Wasalaam!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.