Friday 26 January 2018

Cinnamon Apple Porridge.



Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

It's my favourite Winter breakfast!
Guys, I am a breakfast person.
It may actually be my most favourite meal of the day and it's definitely the meal that I miss the most when fasting during Ramadan. Speaking of Ramadan, I've already started planning my blog content for it and if all goes to plan, get very excited!
Back to breakfast. I know that having a leisurely breakfast is definitely one of the perks of working from home as I do. Usually I prefer savoury breakfasts as opposed to sweet. My go-to savoury breakfast is eggs. I eat them boiled, poached, scrambled, fried or in an omelette. Actually, come to think of it, eggs are probably my favourite food ever. If I've not had them at breakfast, they'll most definitely make an appearance later in the day as a quick lunch or dinner. My love of eggs is why I'll probably never be a full-time vegan.

During the Winter months, on the days when breakfast is not of the savoury variety, porridge is my preferred option. Usually we make it plain with just oats, milk, water and sugar but recently I've been playing around with this cinnamon apple version. Because I've had so much success with it throughout the cold months, it inspired me to test out a masala chai porridge but it wasn't the biggest success. Next on the list, a porridge infused with Earl Grey and blueberries. Wish me luck!
But today, I'm sharing my first fruit porridge success. Everything is cooked in one pot and takes ten minutes - perfect if your mornings are a little more chaotic than mine. The raisins are optional but I love the chew they give to the creamy oats. Enjoy!

A Simple List of Ingredients:
1. Milk
2. Porridge Oats
3. Ground Cinnamon
4. Salt
5. Vanilla Essence
6. Maple Syrup
7. Raisins
8. Apple

Bismillah, let's begin!

This is the easiest recipe ever, you guys. Everything is cooked up in a small deep pan starting with the milk.

Pour in 250ml Milk into the pan. I used semi-skimmed but any will do.

Then, the key ingredient. Add in 40g Porridge Oats.

Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon and a Pinch of Salt.

Then, more flavour and sweetness with a little vanilla. Drizzle in 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence or Extract.

I love using maple syrup in my porridge but you may use sugar or golden syrup.

Pour in Maple Syrup, to taste.

Now, I know some people can't stand raisins but I love them. And, I especially love the chew they bring to the soft porridge and apple chunks.

Sprinkle in as many Raisins as you like or leave them out if you prefer.

Finally, the apple. Use any you have in the fruit bowl - this one is a Pink Lady.

Peel and dice 1/2 Apple and add to the pan.

As the snow shows no sign of melting ...

... let's stir everything up.


To cook, bring porridge to a boil then turn the heat to the lowest and let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.

If the porridge is too thick for you, add a splash more milk.

When you're happy with the texture and the oats are soft, let's eat!

Spoon the hot porridge into a bowl.

And, finish things off with more sliced apple, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Serve with a hot cup of tea and a good book. 

The sweetest way to warm up a Winter morning.

Cinnamon Apple Porridge.

A creamy porridge with apple, warming cinnamon and sweet raisins.

Prep Time: About 10 minutes.
Cook Time: About 10 minutes.
Serves: 1 person.

Ingredients

250ml Milk
40g Porridge Oats
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence or Extract
Maple Syrup, to taste
Raisins, to taste
1/2 Apple, peeled and diced

So easy:
Place all the ingredients into a deep saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes until the porridge is cooked. If it is too thick, add more milk. Serve immediately.

Keep me in your duas please, and enjoy your porridge!

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.