Sunday 20 April 2014

Sunsets + Pakoras + Country Walks: 12 April - 18 April 2014

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Welcome to another week in pictures!




 Spring is definitely here in the UK and how beautiful it is too. Life still goes on though and time stops for no one. 
My words to you this week are that change is happening all the time, whether we see it or not. If it's good, thank Allah. And, if you are going through hard times, be patient and ask Allah for reward.

The Prophet Muhammad (saw) said:
How amazing is the affair of the believer. There is good for him in everything, and that is for no one but the believer. If good times come his way, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him. And if hardship comes his way, he endures it patiently, and that is better for him.
(Muslim)

Saturday: I thought I'd share some foodie items I bought. I tried this coffee ice cream and it is a coffee lovers dream - rich and with a deep coffee flavour.
My favourite cheese is a good mature Cheddar and these slices with cracked black pepper in them were divine. They bring a real spice to ordinary cheese on toast.
Never tried Gouda cheese before but it really is smooth and creamy with a mild flavour as the packet says!
These crisps are really spicy. My favourite is the Chilli and Lemon.
I've never really tried rapeseed oil, so when I saw these I had to buy them. The chilli one I tried tossed in a salad, and I used the garlic one in a lovely pasta dish and a potato salad.
I'm loving sweet cherry tomatoes and these were no exception!
Heard a lot about Stevia so glad to see it in tablet form.
And, finally, I got another one of my favourite seasoning blends - the Chinese 5 Spice!
We dug out our coffee machine from the shed last weekend, and made espresso at home. Ours is a Tassimo one similar to this. 
Our kumquat tree is looking good but sadly we can't eat them - they're for decoration only.
Mum made a Turnip, Carrot and Spinach Curry.
And, this beyond amazing Spicy Green Chutney. She blended together tomatoes, fresh coriander, green chillies, fresh mint and salt - it was divine!
A few sunset shots!
And the moon decided to come out as well.
Ka'b (ra) compared the Prophet Muhammad (saw) to the moon. He said, "When he was pleased, his face would shine so bright that you would believe that it was a piece of the moon".
And, finally, a late ice lolly treat!
Sunday: The weather was mostly cloudy.
With a Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup for lunch.
Sunday baking this week involved chocolate and strawberries.
Update: Here is the recipe.
Dinner was Vegetable Pakoras which were made for guests.
Along with the obligatory Green Yoghurt Chutney.
Monday: The day dawned bright and beautiful, and really hot. An early Strawberry Split was called for :)
Lunch was time to make use of those sweet tomatoes.
I sliced up spring onions and fresh red chilli.
Along with the tomatoes.
Fresh Coriander
Mixed in tinned tuna and seasoned well.
And, served it over 1/2 baked potato with low-fat cottage cheese and a quick homemade coleslaw (spring salad mix, low fat yoghurt, a little mayo and seasoning).
One of the only things I could serve to my gluten free aunt - Bombay Mix with added peanuts.
Mum made her Gosht Masala again for dinner.
Another beautiful sunset :)

Answering some of the wonderful comments I receive from you guys! They really do make my day knowing that I'm helping people, so be sure to leave them down below :)
Tuesday: Today felt like the longest day of the week, and it began with a walk.
And, we ended up at a farm near our house.
Spot the goats! There are two in this photo.
The geese were too hot to move!
Mums fuchsia plant! 
And, a vanilla ice lolly to cool off.
Today was a day when all the windows were flung open!
Lunch was the tuna mix from yesterday topped with a little melted Gouda.
The afternoon was spent in the garden.
Some cousins and aunts came over.
Mum planted two clematis plants so that they'll grow around her new arch - one pink and one white.
Dinner!
A really light and vibrant veggie pasta using carrots, cherry tomatoes, spinach, cabbage, mushrooms, peas, spring onions, garlic and beef salami.
I put a little of the garlic rapeseed oil in here too along with some penne, of course. It was one of the best meals I've had in ages.
Following a special flight flying halfway across the world on Flight Radar.
Wednesday: Another beautiful day dawned and I discovered more new flowers in the garden.
I think this is a weed but it's still pretty.
The Quran - a guidance for mankind.
Even though it was so sunny, I felt really cold.
It seemed homemade hot chocolate was in order (milk, brown sugar, cocoa powder, Ovaltine and milk chocolate).
Thursday: One of the only cloudy days this week.
And so, Brownies were called for!
To get the full recipe and more photos, check my Thursday Chocolate Brownies.
Dinner was Peri Peri Grilled Chicken. 
It was served with a little leftover pasta.
Friday: The most blessed day of the week dawned once more, and it was Boiled Eggs for breakfast.
Another summery day, so we walked over to my cousins for lunch.
They have the most beautiful tulips growing in their front garden.
I look forward to seeing them every year.
Trying to FaceTime some family!
This chilli sauce is amazing!
Delicious lunch prepared by my aunt - roasted spicy chicken, baked potato, mushy peas and veggies.
And, then dessert!
Vanilla ice cream with hot brownie.
Along side fresh raspberries and blueberries.
My cousin made a healthy dessert of her own with layers of oats, blueberries, raspberries, raisins and pecans caramelised in maple syrup and cinnamon. I tried some and I have to say it was quite a tasty combination.
These flowers are fake but still pretty :)
My aunts orange tree was looking particularly summery.
As was her lemon tree.
They have a really stunning conifer in their garden with fresh pine cones.
And, to end, some of their cheerful, spring flowers!



On the blog, we started the week with a Spicy Potato Frittata.


Followed by a Simple Chicken and Potato Curry which as one of my aunts pointed out, contains no onions!



And, we end with the treat of the week, Thursday Chocolate Brownies!

Hope you all had a wonderful week and an even better one to come, inshallah!

Wasalaam!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.