Monday 15 December 2014

Coconut Ice

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Me and my Mother agree on most things but coconut is where we differ big time.
She had been asking me to make Coconut Ice for what feels like forever but my dislike for coconut held me back.
Actually, I don't dislike everything to do with coconut. I can take coconut milk and coconut oil but the desiccated stuff just makes me shudder.
 
I don't know why I waited so long to make coconut ice though, it was so fun and so quick. It's completely no-bake (sets in the fridge) and only uses 4 ingredients (icing sugar/condensed milk/desiccated coconut/food colouring). Plus I got a chance to play around with a gift of food colouring gels that I received back in August.

Coconut, previously: Coconut, Cranberry and White Chocolate Chip CookiesCoconut Cupcakes with Raspberry IcingLamingtonsMini Manchester Tarts

A Simple List of Ingredients: 
1. Icing Sugar
2. Condensed Milk
3. Desiccated Coconut
4. Food Colouring

Bismillah, let's begin! 

Into a mixing bowl, place 225 grams (8 ounces) Icing Sugar.

Pour in 200 grams (7 ounces) Condensed Milk.

Using a wooden spoon, begin to mix it together.

Stir until a thick paste forms. This will take a few minutes but you'll get there eventually.

Next, time for the main event - the coconut!

Add in 175 grams (6 ounces) Desiccated Coconut.

Mix together to form a stiff mixture. You could use your hands too, if it's easier.

Next, double line a loaf tin or any other container with cling-film.
Place half of the coconut mixture into this tin.

Press it down well into all the corners until it is smooth and flat.

Next, we are going to colour the remaining half of the coconut mixture in the bowl.

Grab your favourite food colouring. I chose this fuchsia gel but you could use any. 

Add a tiny drop of Food Colouring to the remaining half in the bowl.

Mix until the colour is well distributed. I found it easier to do this using my hands - wearing disposable gloves, of course.

Put the coloured half over the white half in the tin.

Press down to smooth.

Fold over the cling-film and place into the fridge. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.

Once firm, remove from the tin.

Peel off the cling-film.

Slice in half, and then begin slicing into small squares.

I managed to slice the coconut ice into 32 small squares but you can make them as big or as small as you like. And, try using different colours - let your imagination run wild. 
If you recreate this, or any of my recipes, be sure to send me a photo - I would love see them!

Full Written Recipe:


Coconut Ice

Adapted from Carnation

Preparation: 15 minutes approx.
Setting Time: 2 hours approx.
Makes: 32 small squares

Ingredients
200 grams (7 ounces) Condensed Milk
225 grams (8 ounces) Icing Sugar
175 grams (6 ounces) Desiccated Coconut
Tiny drop of any Food Colouring – I used fuchsia

Method

Take a mixing bowl and put in the icing sugar. Pour in the condensed milk and stir together with a wooden spoon to form a thick paste.

Add in the desiccated coconut and stir again to form a stiff mixture.

Double line a loaf tin or any shaped tin you want with cling-film.
Place ½ the mixture into the tin and press down to smooth.

Add a tiny drop of food colouring to the mixture in the bowl and mix until everything is well coloured. I found mixing it by hand wearing disposable gloves helped.

Place the coloured half over the white half and press to smooth.
Fold over the pieces of cling-film and chill in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.

Pull the coconut ice out of the tin and peel off the plastic.
Slice into bars, and then squares and enjoy!

The coconut ice can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.

This Time One Year Ago:


This Time Two Years Ago:


Keep me in your duas, please,

Wasalaam!



Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.