Saturday 27 June 2015

No-Machine Nutella Ice Cream.

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

So, Nutella.


 
Thoughts?
I'm going to be honest with you guys and confess that I wasn't a fan of Nutella until about a year ago. Shocking, I know. Up until then, the only chocolate spread ever to grace my morning toast was always this one. Seriously. I would always scoff at people who dared to allow hazelnuts to contaminate their chocolate spread.
But, the funny thing was that I always had a soft spot for these things, and after a few failed attempts at baking with them, I finally realized that they tasted very similar to Nutella (!!!). 

Um, yum!! A search of the kitchen cupboards, produced three (one of them very large) jars of Nutella and suddenly, I was hooked. I will admit to actually eating the stuff out of said jar with a spoon - do not knock it until you try it.
So yeah. Nutella is now an absolute favourite of mine although this stuff is giving it some serious competition. Anyway, after the success of this mango ice cream last year, I felt like making another one. And, this time, with Nutella (I remembered how good it was frozen!) That's right. You guys, this recipe is laughably simple. Three ingredients, a bowl, whisk and freezer will come together to give you the smoothest, creamiest ice cream ever - way better than any luxury ice cream out there. And, best of all, it's Nutella! Need I say more?
Ooh, wait, one last thing --> make this now, freeze it and pull it out at Iftar time. Just do it. You'll thank me later.

Nutella, previously: Nutella cheesecakeNutella croissantsNutella popsicles 

A Simple List of Ingredients:
1. Double Cream
2. Condensed Milk
3. Nutella

Bismillah, let's begin!


Nutella ice cream, here we come! Take your three ingredients.


The first one is 450ml Double Cream, cold.


Pour it into a large bowl.


Like so.


You can use a stand mixer or whisk by hand but I chose to use an electric hand whisk.


Plug it in and get whisking.


Keep whisking ...


... oh, and be careful when you pull the whisk out. Don't be like me and get double cream spattered all over the kitchen. Ooops.


So, whisk the cream until you get to soft peaks.


Then, pull out the whisk.


Grab your spatula and give it a stir.


You should have lovely, light, softly whipped cream.


Next, it's time to add the condensed milk. This stuff will help thicken and sweeten our ice cream. 


Crack open the tin.


You'll need a 397 gram tin Condensed Milk.


Having learnt from my previous no-machine ice cream, this time I began by adding in 1/2 the tin - about 200 grams Condensed Milk.


It's better to start with less then you can add in more, if needed.


Stir in the condensed milk and that's the ice cream base done. The way you flavour it now is completely up to you.


I, of course, went down the chocolate hazelnut route.


Grab a spoon ...


... and take 115 grams Nutella. Of course, any other chocolate spread would work too.


Before we add the Nutella to the cream, we want to give it a good stir. So put it into a plate.


And, give it a good mix. This'll just loosen it and make it easier to incorporate.


When it's ready ...


... add it on in.


And, using your spatula, begin to stir it in.


Until it's all mixed in well.


At this point, give it a taste.


I felt it could use more Nutella and more condensed milk. 


Remember, when making the ice cream, the flavour should be quite intense before freezing. This ensures that after freezing, the flavour is still there.


In went more Nutella - about a tablespoon.


Along with a little more condensed milk.


In went a small splash - I still didn't end up using the whole can because the Nutella was quite sweet too.


A final stir and taste - we're done!


Time to freeze!


Although, to be honest, I'm sure this would make a very good Nutella mousse. Just saying.


Take a container with a lid and pop in the ice cream.


I did try swirling more Nutella through but it just sank.


Cover the box with a lid.


Place into the freezer for a few hours or overnight.


Half went into a box and the other half into a dish which I covered tightly with foil.


And, froze!


After freezing and as a post-Taraweeh treat, I had a taste.


First of all, look at that texture. Not an ice crystal in sight, it could give the luxury ice cream brands a run for their money.


The box was given a gift.


Seriously guys, gifting ice cream is where it's at. Cake is so yesterday.


Stick on a label - I'm sure you can do a way better job than me.


And, gift away!


To serve the ice cream up, take it out of the freezer.


Grab a spoon or ice cream scoop.


And, get scooping.


I'm still marveling at that texture. I mean, the recipe is so easy but the results are wow.


This ice cream is delicious as it is but a drizzle of melted Nutella - I mean, come on. It would be rude not to.


Nutella lovers, rejoice. Make this for Iftar tonight and enjoy!

Full Written Recipe:


No-Machine Nutella Ice Cream.

Prep Time: About 10 minutes.
Freeze Time: A few hours or overnight.
Serves: About 6-8 people <-- this stuff is rich!

Ingredients
450ml Double Cream, cold
200 grams (1/2 a 397g tin) Condensed Milk, cold
115 grams Nutella, whipped slightly

Method

Pour the double cream into a bowl. Whisk with an electric whisk until you reach soft peaks.

Pour in the condensed milk and Nutella. Stir to combine.

Taste. If you think it needs more Nutella, add it in. If you think it should be sweeter, add more condensed milk.

Pour the mixture into an airtight box and freeze for a few hours or overnight.

To serve, scoop into bowls or cones, drizzle with melted Nutella and enjoy!


This Time One Year Ago:

This Time Two Years Ago:

Keep me in your duas, please, and enjoy your ice cream,

Wasalaam!


Spice Enthusiast
© copyrights This Muslim Girl Bakes, All Rights Reserved. Branding & Blog Design by Sadaf F K.